Friday, April 30, 2010

Too many strawberries

I got really excited at the grocery store last week because the strawberries were buy one get one free. So I did. And then I realized I had 2 containers of strawberries (quarts, perhaps?) and could not eat them fast enough on my own (Nick does not like them. He's weird sometimes). I finally decided to stray from cupcakes and make a strawberry coffee cake.

I used a recipe from allrecipes.com and followed it pretty much exactly except that it says to put all the strawberries on top and I mixed in about 2/3 of them. Unfortunately, this recipe is merely okay. And this time, the mediocrity is not my fault! I really did what it said. But next time (if there is a next time), I will use
  • less sugar
  • less butter
  • more strawberries
  • cinnamon!
It takes a lot for me to think something is too sweet, but I really think this cake is. Also, there was a small pool of butter on top from the crumb topping. Gross. I don't like to be reminded of the fat content of baked goods.








On the bright side, I got to use one package of strawberries and the cake is certainly good enough to eat (though it doesn't have to be very good for me to think so). Next time I have extras I'll just go the safe route with strawberry shortcake (following my grandmother's example, because she makes absolutely THE BEST strawberry shortcake. Stay tuned for it this summer...).

No comments:

Post a Comment