Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Bring Kinder Candy to the US!

Besides Nutella, I also developed a love for Kinder candy while I was in Italy a couple of summers ago. I guess it originated in Germany, but it at least made it to Italy (and I'm assuming it's all over Europe). I've never seen it in stores here, and, though it's sold on Amazon, I don't particularly want to buy an entire case because it seems absurd to buy $40 of candy at one time, no matter how delicious.

My absolute favorite Kinder candy is Happy Hippos. Yup, that's right. Happy Hippos. Awesome. They come in cocoa- and hazelnut-cream filled (hazelnut is my preferred Hippo). Little delectable wafer hippos staring up at you with those concerned little eyes. Truly genius.I was even fortunate enough to live less than a 10 minute walk from a gelateria that had Happy Hippo gelato, both hazelnut and cocoa. It was a dream come true. If for no other reason, I will go back to Italy just for that gelato.

Kinder also brilliantly created cream-filled chocolate rhinos, Kinder Bueno (chocolate-covered hazelnut-cream-filled wafer), and these little sectioned chocolate bars with white filling. In the U.S., we value our peanuts but completely neglect hazelnuts! Don't get me wrong, I love a good peanut-butter and jelly sandwich or a Reese's, but we need to jump on the hazelnut bandwagon (alright so there's no bandwagon that I know of. But there should be, and we should be on it). And now that I've written this, I have a serious craving for Happy Hippos. Damn. Time to order a case I guess =)

3 comments:

  1. Kinder is the greatest company ever, I agree. They are all over Europe, as far as I know. They're really big in the UK. I don't know if they sell other Kinder chocolates in the US, but i know that Kinder Eggs are banned in the US because they're afraid little kids will choke on the toys. Little kids ruin everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They do. And you know, some will choke, some will not. It's called survival of the fittest.

    ReplyDelete
  3. HAPPY HIPPOS!!!!!!! I LOVE YOU AND I LOVE THEM.

    ReplyDelete