Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Coconut is the best thing ever

And that is not hyperbole.

Okay so it's definitely hyperbole, but coconut is pretty damn good. My internship is about to end, and I want to go out with a bang and bring in some really amazing cupcakes. The goal: coconut cupcakes with coconut frosting.

I got the recipe for the cake part from Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World, but I changed it slightly because they were supposed to be coconut lime cupcakes and I only wanted coconut. And I didn't make them vegan. And I tried to make it slightly less fattening by using a bit less coconut oil and milk (not that anyone eats a cupcake expecting it not to be fattening). So here's my [doubled] version...

Coconut Cupcakes

1/2 c. coconut oil
1 1/2 c. granulated sugar
1 1/2 c. light coconut milk
2/3 c. skim milk
2 c. all-purpose flour
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
dash of salt
1 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut

  1. preheat oven to 350 degrees
  2. melt coconut oil in the microwave (10 sec., then stir, then 5-10 more) or in a saucepan over low heat
  3. mix together coconut oil and sugar
  4. add coconut milk and skim milk
  5. add flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; mix
  6. stir in coconut
  7. pour into lined cupcake pan and bake for 18-20 minutes (possibly longer for you since my oven is weird)
This recipe ended up making 23 cupcakes, and I definitely under-filled some of the liners, so it would make about 20 or 21 of the right size. As usual, I skipped the vanilla (I swear I'll buy some soon), and I also skipped the coconut extract that the original recipe called for (put in 2 t. of vanilla and coconut extract to stay true[r] to it).

On their own, these were merely okay. But as I have come to learn, the frosting is crucial in making an excellent cupcake. It is the icing on the cake. Literally.


Coconut Buttercream Frosting

1/2 c. unsalted butter (at room temperature)
2 T. coconut oil
3 1/2 c. powdered sugar
2 1/2 T. light coconut milk
  1. mix together the butter and coconut oil
  2. add powdered sugar and coconut milk; beat until fluffy (about 3 minutes)
  3. After frosting the cupcakes, sprinkle some unsweetened coconut on top
Oh my god. This frosting tastes AMAZING. It's just a fluffy mouthful of coconut, and it really complements the cupcakes well because they aren't too sweet on their own. There was enough frosting to frost 22 cupcakes pretty thickly (though not as thick as piping it...then you'd need a lot more). I was trying to frost them in this cool swirl pattern, but I was only moderately successful. Whatever, I'm very very happy with how they look! They're probably my favorite thing I've baked so far, though I'm torn between these and the chocolate-raspberry mini cakes. I'll have to make them both again (and again, and again) to see which wins.

2 comments:

  1. at this rate, i'm going to have to start baking myself, just to keep up with the cravings all these pictures are causing. I think it's because I know you're nearby, and therefore that these cupcakes are actually within reach of me, whereas other food blogs are much more abstract.

    on another note, I think I agree with you about nixing the lime (i'm not sure if this was because of convenience or personal taste), because though i think Coconut/Lime makes a really nice-smelling combination for bath soap, I like it much less in actual food. That said though, I feel like if you wanted to do something fruity, coconut and mango could be an interesting combination. Mango in cake is always delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Let me tell you something. I just ate one of these cupcakes. I literally made an audible gasp with the first bite. Incredible.

    ReplyDelete