Saturday, April 3, 2010

Being trendy with wedding cupcakes

In an effort to save money, I'm going to bake my own cupcakes for my wedding. Is this a bad idea? Maybe. It could be a disaster, but I like to think that, with the help of some family and friends, I can pull off some cheap and delicious cupcakes. I feel kind of unoriginal because wedding cupcakes seem to be a trend right now, but cupcakes are so much cuter than cake anyway. I hope it's a trend that lasts

To make them look nice, I'm going to put them on a tiered stand, which I spent a good deal of time building the last couple of days (with some help of course). I followed the instructions here and it came out great--especially if you look from far away. I ended up using round cardboard (it might be called cake board) from a party store since I couldn't find anything heavier, but I think it will be sturdy enough. To be safe, I doubled it up. I used wrapping paper to cover each layer and put ribbon around each to make it fancier. It's much nicer than anything I could have found for $20, which is what it ended up costing. Not too shabby.

I'm going to have to hone my presently-nonexistent cake-decorating skills in the next 2 months so I can make the small cake that will go on the top tier look professional-ish, so you can expect to see lots of cupcakes on here soon. Wish me luck.

The only thing I had time to bake in the past week was black and white cookies, and they worked out great. I followed the recipe exactly except for the lemon juice (because I didn't have any). They were very fluffy (though they could have been a bit more moist), and the icing was pretty good too. I might add less cocoa powder to make the chocolate icing next time because it tasted a little darker than I like my chocolate. The only problem I really had was keeping the 2 sides neat and separate. Plus, crumbs got mixed in since you frost the bottom of the cookie, and they were visible on the vanilla side. Not the most aesthetically pleasing, but they certainly treated my mouth well.

No comments:

Post a Comment