Thursday, March 25, 2010

The best fudge ever

I made a bunch of fudge yesterday using a really easy recipe from my cousin's grandmother. I think that the marshmallows are what makes it special (though I'm a vegetarian, I have given in and I eat gelatin. Shhh don't tell). Give it a try:

Creamy Chocolate Fudge

Combine
:
2 cups sugar

2/3 cup evaporated milk
16 large marshmal
lows
1/4 tsp. salt

Cook and stir over medium heat until marshmallows melt. Boil and stir over medium heat for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add:
1/4 cup butter
1 cup chocolate chips

1 tsp. vanilla
Beat until blended. Spread in 9" square pan (sprayed with cooking spray). Refrigerate until served.

A few tips for getting the fudge to turn out perfectly:
~make sure you
use a big enough pan (I used a 4 quart one) because the marshmallows expand as they melt
~ don't skimp on the boiling part. I decided once that about 3.5 minutes was plenty of time. It wasn't
~make sure your chocolate
chips are room temperature. I had them refrigerated in the summer and then they didn't melt enough when I added them, so the fudge didn't look smooth.

The fudge was a huge hit at work today. The consistency gives the perfect resistance to your teeth as you bite into it; they just sliiiide through and release a creamy hunk of not-too-sweet chocolate onto your tongue.

No comments:

Post a Comment