Friday, May 14, 2010

The taste of summer

Alright, so I gave in.

But I made it longer than 24 hours without baking, so that's something, right? And I have [almost] one full paragraph of my paper (all I need is a thesis...).

I was slicing up a container of strawberries that I bought yesterday, and I got a serious craving for strawberry shortcake. We used to have it every father's day at my grandparent's house because my great-grandfather LOVED strawberry shortcake. As soon as I realized I had all the ingredients, that was the end of the baking ban.

So for the biscuits, I just using Bisquick. It has a recipe for strawberry shortcake right on the box, so you can find the amounts there if you want to make these. But basically, you just need Bisquick, milk, and sugar.

I didn't measure anything for the strawberry part. I sliced up strawberries earlier, so I just mashed up some with a fork until they were juicy but there were still identifiable pieces of strawberry. Add a spoonful of sugar, and they're all set.

Then it was time for the whipped cream. If you know anything about my past experience with whipped cream, you'll know I had little hope of it working this time.
Upside: It whipped enough that I actually got whipped cream from heavy cream
Downside: My arm feels like it might fall off

After my failed attempts with an electric mixer, I decided to do it the old-fashioned way and use a whisk and a little muscle. It worked, which tells me that I am more powerful than an electric mixer (or that there is something wrong with my mixer). However, I honestly believe that my arm will be sore tomorrow, which is quite sad and indicates to me that I need to lift weights more often (which should be easy considering that I never lift weights).

Strawberry shortcake is almost as good as I remember it, but there's something about it when my grandmother makes it that I just can't imitate. She has the magic touch I guess.

Now back to the paper =(

2 comments:

  1. I wish I could give you a recipe, but it wasn't very precise. Use the biscuit recipe from the Bisquick box, smush up strawberries and add sugar until you like the sweetness, and for the whipped cream I whipped about 1 c. heavy cream and added 2 heaping tablespoons of powdered sugar. There you have it. I should really start measuring better.

    ReplyDelete